Palmanova – The fortress city
Built in 1593 by the Republic of Venice, Palmanova is a fortress city preserved in extraordinary condition. A national monument since 1960, in 2017 it became part of the Unesco World Heritage, Venetian Works of Defence between the 16th and 17th centuries.
With its perfect nine-pointed star shape, monumental entrance gates and the three circles of fortifications from the 16th, 17th and 19th centuries, Palmanova is both a model Renaissance city and an example of military architecture that reveals in concrete detail to the visitor the technical developments of the science of fortification construction in the modern era. The Piazza Grande, a large parade ground located in the exact centre of the fortress city, hosts a permanent exhibition with instruments and artificial machines used to build the fortress of Palma. The exhibition features life-size reproductions of some of the machines used to build Palmanova.